I've finally decided where all the money goes. I thought it was eating out, Target, the grocery store, bills, etc. But no, all the money goes to school.
Everyday I am writing a check to our elementary school. When I think back, here is the list of all the items the school wants me to spend my money on:
pennies for peace, box tops, field trips, lunches, book fair, school pictures, used shoes, carnival, teacher's birthdays, school parties, greenback night, PTA, Papa John's pizza night, market days, donations to other schools in the area (lower SES), treasure box, school supplies (not only for my kids but the teacher and other schools), backpacks (for other schools), scholastic books, etc. etc.
I feel like I am writing a check everyday for something. This week it was money for lunches, school pictures and book fair. For some reason I've never budgeted school into our monthly finances. But it really takes a ton of money out of our budget. I know lots of these things are voluntary and I need to consider which items to contribute to and which not to contribute to. But it's exhausting and never ending.
What baffles me is that we then hear how our school is in need of money for field trips. I know I personally give money for PTA and greenbacks at the first of the school year. I think we are even asked to give $25 per kid for field trips. Our school then won a Box Top award for $10,000 this year for collecting the most Box Tops. Our school carnival just make a ton of money but it seems they are always asking for more.
Anyways, this is just a rant as I'm trying to budget the next week of school items that will be heading home in the kids' backpacks!



2 comments:
OMG!!!! I am in total agreement! It is crazy to think about all the things we are paying for at school....and it's public school, imagine if they went to private school! We could probably pay for a year of college tuition with all the school expenses! The bad part is I heard it gets worse by the time they are in highschool!
It wasn't this way when I was growing up, but it sure is that way now.
I used to constantly give and buy, but I am much more selective now... possibly because of looming college tuition! My 3rd grader came home with a list of books he wanted from the book fair; they were each $9! I sent him searching for books we already own that are just like the ones he wanted to buy, and then I promised him a trip to the library.
I've also gotten pickier about supporting the fundraisers. The last one was quality chocolates, but I'm trying to lose weight, not spend money on calories!
Post a Comment