Monday, March 23, 2009

The Answer to Prayers

Years ago I was a working gal. I had a great job. I loved what I did and the people I worked with. My commute to work was a beautiful drive through the Texas Hill Country. Everyday was such a blessing and a blast.

But of course, there were bigger things chewing at my heart - like having children.

After three years of infertility, DH and I were blessed to be pg with our first child. I was sick as a dog and on a limited diet due to gestational diabetes. But, through it all, I was living life - LARGE!

I had a perfect job, I was pg and everything in life was coming together.

As I approached my last trimester, people began asking if I was coming back to work after the baby was born. Hmmm... I really hadn't given it much thought. I mean, what else is there? I had everything I wanted and I was sure nothing was going to change just because I had a baby? Right?

Right....

One morning, in my 38th week of pregnancy, I got a headache. I went to work as usual but, since I worked at a hospital, I told some of the nurses about my headache. They took my blood pressure, got the results and freaked out. Their advice - call my doctor and head to his office ASAP!

I rushed out of work - never to return.

Of course I was experiencing pre-eclampsia. I was placed on bed rest for a week and then delivered a wonderful healthy beautiful baby boy. Once I held him in my arms, I knew being a SAHM was my only life course.

It all sounds so simple, but I was totally blindsided by the HUGE life change I was about to experience.

In just two weeks I went from being a well-respected working gal. Feeling so sure of who I was and what I was doing. I was kickin' arse and takin' names - so to speak. To living a whole new life that was totally unfamiliar to me.

My heart was guiding me but my head was very sad (not to mention those crazy post-partum blues). Although I LOVED my baby and couldn't put him down, I REALLY missed work.

I missed my friends, I missed my schedule, I missed the patients. I missed everything.

I knew no one with small children. It felt like someone had placed me on a remote island, all alone, with no one to guide me or talk to me or give me kudos for the hard work I was doing.

It was a sad time. It was a beautiful time. It was a lonely time. Since DH is a freakin' workaholic, I was pretty much alone all the time.

Work went on without me. Which was quite a wake-up call. I really thought they needed me and wanted me. But, I was easily replaced. All my friends had been work friends. Without work, I was nothing.

During that time, I prayed - a lot. I prayed for guidance.

I prayed for help,

and I prayed for friends. Good friends. Friends that were going through the same thing I was.

Weren't there other working gals who'd given it all up for a precious baby? They had to be out there in the world. Somewhere.

I had no idea where they were and where to find them.

It was a long six months before I found a mom's group. I really thought they were an answer to prayer. As I headed to my first mom's group meeting, I had to drive through a questionable neighborhood. When the mom opened the door to welcome me I noticed she had quite a few teeth missing. Hmmm....

Of course, I'm not against people without teeth, I don't want to discriminate those who are a bit toothless, but I wasn't sure this was the right mom's group for me.

Where was my answer to prayer? Where were the girl-pals I was dying to have?

Three years and another baby later - I found my mom's group. They were a fun group of well-educated ladies who had given it all up for that tug of motherhood that can change your life.

Now, friends are coming out of the woodwork. I have more friends than I can count and they are all precious to me. They are an answer to prayer. They give me strength. They give me support. They call for GNO and are there for emergency situations.

I know God answers prayers. Although he does it in his own time, it happens.

Thank you God for my GREAT friends!

If I could reach up and hold a star for every time you've made me smile, the entire evening sky would be in the palm of my hand.

Never shall I forget the times I spent with you; continue to be my friend, as you will always find me yours.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please, please, I am begging you...WRITE A BOOK! I cannot stop reading your blog. Your writings are amazing and leave me wanting more. Although you live across the street from me and you are a BFF I just can't get enough of the Frat House!

Mrs. G. said...

Girl friends really are the best.

Babies and God are good too.

Anonymous said...

My mom stayed home with us when we were oh-so-small, but she soon discovered she needed more -- and went back to school for her Ph.D. While I grew up wishing for a SAHM, I know she was happiest as a working clinical psychologist -- and if mama is happy, everyone is happier. It works all ways. I'm sure it drives her crazy that my goal has always been to be a SAHM, but I love it and know I am blessed to be able to be here. The military life has been good for me as a SAHM, since Army family housing is a built-in mom's group. My SIL who also gave up her job for her babies had to be more intentional with her search for support.