Sunday, March 15, 2009

Amazing What Can Happen In A Week

A week ago I was sitting in the ER with chest pains. It was scary and I took way too long to get to the ER. Turns out everything was fine. I was lucky.

My friend Alice was not so lucky. Alice started having chest pains yesterday around noon. She called her mom and her mom, in turn called 911. By 2:30pm Alice had passed away.

Alice was a wonderful gal. She was an elementary school teacher and, although she'd never married, she took on the challenge of being a foster mom. As Alice lay on the floor waiting for 911, her sweet foster daughter kept saying "Get up mommy, get up."

Alice had two sweet and precious foster girls in her home. A 3 year old, who had been with her for two years and an 8 month old who had been with her since birth. These foster girls belonged to Alice as much as they belonged to us, her friends. We loved Alice and we loved these girls.

Now, a family is gone. With Alice's passing, the girls were immediately swept away by Child Protective Services. These two sweet children, who woke up to a normal Saturday morning with their mom have had their life turned upside down. Everything they knew about this world has changed. They've not only lost the only mom they knew, but also their home, their grandparents, their school friends and their church family.

Within a five hour time span we have not only lost a great friend but also two beautiful girls. We are grieving. We've lost Alice. We've lost the girls. And there is a huge hole in our hearts that is difficult to deal with.

Please pray for Alice's family and the uncertain future of her precious foster daughters.

3 comments:

SassyMom4 said...

Oh Laurie, my heart is broken for over this. I will definitely be praying for your friend's family. I saw on Valerie's FB status that she was only 44...that is jut too young! I am so sorry for her two girls...but I am so glad God had her be a mother to them even for a short while. I know she built a wonderful foundation and start for the girls lives and God put them together for a reason. I am thinking about you!

Anonymous said...

Are any of her family members willing to take the children to continue fostering? Why won't they at least try to keep the girls within the same network of support? Were there plans to adopt? This just absolutely breaks my heart. :(

Margo said...

I am so sorry about your friend and her family. What a tragic situation. I will certainly pray for all of them.