I could never be an Aggie. I love traditions but there are sometimes I want to bend the rules a bit.
Take yesterday for example. My kids are off from school all week. They were getting excited about Christmas and wanted to put up the tree. Our tradition has been to wait until after Thanksgiving. Usually it's the day after Thanksgiving but, still! There should never be a Christmas decoration in my visual until after we eat turkey!
Well, I broke down. We spent the entire day putting up the tree and all our decorations. It was FABULOUS! No stress (because I am not hosting and/or cooking for Thanksgiving), the kids had a BALL, and it was the best decision we've made in YEARS! OK, maybe not years but it was still good!
The boys are big enough now that they practically did the whole decorating themselves. While I put up the tree they got out all the Christmas boxes and brought them into our family room. They had all the ornaments on the tree before I knew what happened. Then they took all the empty boxes away!
It was great! It was the easiest year I've had for decorating. The boys were excited, involved and big helps! I just sat and cherished the moment. One day soon these boys will rather be hanging out with friends, at their girlfriends house, still at college, married, etc. and basically be gone. Just having this time together where they still get a kick out of family and holidays is such a treat. One I will never forget.

Take yesterday for example. My kids are off from school all week. They were getting excited about Christmas and wanted to put up the tree. Our tradition has been to wait until after Thanksgiving. Usually it's the day after Thanksgiving but, still! There should never be a Christmas decoration in my visual until after we eat turkey!
Well, I broke down. We spent the entire day putting up the tree and all our decorations. It was FABULOUS! No stress (because I am not hosting and/or cooking for Thanksgiving), the kids had a BALL, and it was the best decision we've made in YEARS! OK, maybe not years but it was still good!
The boys are big enough now that they practically did the whole decorating themselves. While I put up the tree they got out all the Christmas boxes and brought them into our family room. They had all the ornaments on the tree before I knew what happened. Then they took all the empty boxes away!
It was great! It was the easiest year I've had for decorating. The boys were excited, involved and big helps! I just sat and cherished the moment. One day soon these boys will rather be hanging out with friends, at their girlfriends house, still at college, married, etc. and basically be gone. Just having this time together where they still get a kick out of family and holidays is such a treat. One I will never forget.
I'm glad I broke tradition.


1 comment:
Boys - 1, Mom - 0 :) What did G think about the Xmas decor?
And I could never be an Aggie either!
Post a Comment