Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Home Room Mom Hell (aka Rant #1)

I have officially lost my brain. It is mush. I've become one of the "lost in my kids' world" women. Okay. Maybe that's a bit strong but I really came close to the edge yesterday.

I volunteered to be my middle son's homeroom mom at the beginning of the year. I was told the only thing involved in this endeavor was to plan the Holiday Party (aka Christmas Party) and the End of Year party. Everything would be handed to us HRM's (Home Room Mom's) and it would be easy. Yes, very easy.

I like easy. I'm an easy kind of gal. Complicated details are not my strength. My DH loves complicated details. That's why I love him! He takes care of the dirty details and I swing through life in the big picture. We work well together!

Well, the HRM world is become more detailed than my little ol' brain can handle.
First we HRM's were told to decorate the room for a tea party. What? I wasn't informed of this! Well, I did it. I wracked my non-crafty brain to come up with decorations. It worked. Not the prettiest decorations in the 2nd grade but decent.

Last week I was informed that we needed to decorate the classroom door for the Holiday Party.
What? I used all my craft ideas (few as they are) for the Tea Party! How can I come up with something for the Holiday Party?

I thought and thought and came up with a simple but appropriate idea. I got a babysitter for the little guy and headed to school to decorate the door.




(my simple but awful decorated door)


OMGOSH! I got to the 2nd grade hall and it looked like Candice Olsen had been there! Not only were mom's decorating the doors, they were decorating down the halls! There were 3-D details, roof's hanging over doors and generally beautiful detailed decorations.



I lost it. My ego and confidence went straight down the toilet. My simple decorations paled in comparison. Did I say comparison? Am I now comparing myself to the other mom's who decorated their doors so gorgeous and appropriate?



Calgon! Take me away! This is ridiculous. Aren't there better things in the world to worry about instead of whether I decorated a door appropriately?

1 comment:

Kristin (kekis) said...

I think it looks cute!!! What's rant #2? :)